As a new parent, and especially if you're a first-time parent, shopping for newborn baby clothes can be one of the most exciting steps to take in preparation for the newest member of your family. Here are the vital tips and tricks you must know before hitting the baby clothing stores.
New parents love to buy and receive a ton of newborn baby clothes. In reality however, newborns don't really need a stocked wardrobe. It is important to remember that most newborn babies will sleep up to 18 hours per day. This means that for the early months of their life, all they really are need comfortable pj’s and coveralls. Matching sets and baby outfits may be cute, but are rarely practical for the newest member of the family. When babies are comfortable, they're happier and they sleep better (which means you do too).
Remember to follow the basic sizing guide below before hitting the baby clothing stores.
Size 00000: Small or premature babies
Size 0000: Newborns
Size 000: Up to 3 months old
Size 00: 3-6 months old
Size 0: 6-9 months old
Size 1: 9-12 months old
Tips and Tricks
- Always choose one size ahead of your baby’s actual age: Clothing sizes can be on the small side and babies grow quickly. Most 6-month-old babies can actually wear clothes size 9–12 months. Buying a size up also means your baby will get more wear out of any purchases.
- Buy small amounts: While it can be tempting to stock up on newborn clothing before a baby arrives, you won’t actually know what size your baby will start at until they are born. While picking out clothes for your newest little counterpart can be fun, try to limit your purchases until you can determine how quickly your baby is growing.
Soft Fabrics and Materials
Infant clothes are made up of a variety of fabric combinations. It is therefore important for new parents and loved ones to understand clothing labels, and the fabrics that they are putting on their greatest treasure.
The most common fabric in infant clothes is cotton, as it is soft, absorbent and gentle on a baby's skin. Some babies' skins can redden after contact with synthetic fabrics, so it’s best to stick to natural alternatives.
Tips and Tricks
- Search for organic fabric: New babies have extremely sensitive skin and are particularly susceptible to the sun. Experts recommend purchasing clothing that has been made with organic fabric. This can be softer than cotton alternatives on your baby’s skin.
- Tagless clothing: Tags on the neck of baby clothing can cause skin irritation. It is therefore best to purchase clothes with removable tags, or simply remember to cut of size and washing information before dressing your newborn.
Before hitting the baby clothing stores it is important to research your garment alternatives and how simple they are to take on and off a baby. Buttons can be incredibly frustrating when you have a wriggling baby. Snaps, zippers and stretchy elastic are a new parents best friend in the early months of a newborn’s life.
Snap-crotch baby bodysuits are considered the everyday essential in a newborn’s wardrobe. Not only are they great for sliding gently over a newborn’s head, but they are also incredibly comfortable for a baby to wear. Let’s face it, your newborn doesn’t care about the latest fashion trends at the price of their comfort.
Tips and Tricks
- Make diaper changes simple: Most baby bodysuits and sleepers have snaps at the crotch, making them incredibly easy to take off if you need to change a diaper in a hurry!
- Lose the bells and whistles: Anything that can come off baby clothing can be a choking hazard, including bows, buttons and flowers. If you have clothing with decorations, give them a good tug before each wearing to make sure they’re firmly attached.
- Ditch the chemicals: New clothing is often treated with chemicals to make the material crisper. Wash all items before wearing.
Dressing up a newborn baby or infant can be loads of fun, but we know how newborn parents worry about the comfort and wellbeing of their bundle of joy. Following these tips and tricks ensures that you can enjoy shopping for your newborn, and rest assured that they are comfortable and happy in their newest outfits!